Sustainable housing plays a key role in mitigating climate change, improving Minnesota’s environment, reducing utility bills for residents and providing a healthier place to live. It utilizes both energy efficiency and clean energy solutions.
Minnesota Housing is taking the following actions to support the creation of more sustainable housing:
- Actively participating in the Governor’s Climate Subcabinet and developing a more comprehensive climate strategy for the Agency
- Enhancing our existing sustainability standards for the buildings we finance, which are primarily based on Enterprise Green Communities, to promote the development and rehabilitation of sustainable and resilient homes
- Working with our asset management team to continue providing sustainability education and supporting owners, managers and residents of existing buildings
- Assessing our work with an environmental justice lens and finding equitable housing solutions to minimize the impact of climate change on the most vulnerable populations
- Leveraging all available resources, such as utility incentives, city-based sustainability programs and other partnerships
Governor's Climate Change Subcabinet
Minnesota Housing is member of the Climate Change Subcabinet. Learn about the Our Minnesota Climate initiative.